Q: In the studio I would like to review my images at the time of shooting by, if possible, tethering camera & iPad …can I tether my Sony A7r to my iPad 2? –Marv
A: While it’s not “true tethering”, Sony’s Remote Control App via WiFi connection is likely what you’re after. Smart Remote Control allows you to control your camera via your smartphone. Sony Smart Remote Control application allows you to trigger your shutter, set a 2-second timer, compensate for exposure when in A or S mode, and transfer a resized JPEG to your smartphone or tablet.
Smart Remote Control essentially turns your smartphone or tablet into a spare remote (or a primary remote, if you don’t already have a remote commander). The application allows you to stream a live feed from your camera to your mobile device, allowing you to remain remote from the camera.
In order to take advantage of the Smart Remote Control application, as well as all of the other wireless and connectivity features that are available with you Sony WiFi-enabled camera, you’ll first need to set up an account at the Sony Entertainment Network website: www.sony.net/pmca
Next, download Sony’s PlayMemories Mobile app – available free for SmartPhones and Tablets for both iOS and Android at their respective app stores.
You can then set-up the Smart Remote Control application directly to your camera by selecting
Menu > Application > PlayMemories Camera Apps
Setting your camera up for Smart Remote Control shooting
1. Select Menu > Apps Menu > Application List > Smart Remote Embedded
(the camera will prompt you to log on to your wireless network)
2. Go to Wi-Fi settings on your iOS or Android smartphone or tablet. Select the device shown on the camera menu. Enter the password shown in the menu.
3. As soon as you see a spinning “Connecting” icon – Open the PlayMemories app on your smartphone or tablet and you are connected. But before you go on, do the following:
How to Save Raws with Sony Smart Remote
Be aware that Smart Remote Embedded has it’s own quality settings separate from those you set on your camera. By default these are set to Jpeg because only Jpegs are transferred to smartphones and tablets. If you wish to save Raw to your SD card, here’s what you need to do:
Open Smart Remote Embedded App on your camera:
Menu > Applications > Application List > Smart Remote Embedded
Connect WiFi between your camera to your tablet or Smart Phone
Once you connect, press Menu > Smart Remote Embedded > 2 > Quality > RAW & JPEG
Shoot a frame to be certain this setting is saved.
Boom! You’re good to go…
Smart Remote Control works with all Sony WiFi-enabled cameras which support Apps including Sony a7, a7R, a7S, a7II, a7RII, a6000, a5100, a5000 and NEX-6 (be certain your firmware is up to date)
It allows you to:
- Trigger the shutter from your phone.
- Adjust EV compensation up to +/â€“ five stops. (This control is disabled when shooting in Manual mode.)
- Turn the self-timer and the image review function on or off. There is a settings icon in the lower-left corner of the screen that allows you to do so.
- Select Save Options. If you select On, the app will save a resized JPEG to your phone or tablet and a RAW or JPEG to your SD card. Just be sure to follow the directions above.
UPDATE: Sony Smart Remote Control Update 3.20 is now available. Read this to make certain you’re using the latest version of this app.
‘Sony a7-Series: From Snapshots to Great Shots’ is your guide to all of the Sony a7-Series cameras including the new a7RII. While the camera manual explains what the camera can do, it doesn’t show how to use the camera to create great images! Starting with the Top Ten things users need to know about the cameras, author Brian Smith, a Pulitzer Prize-winning photographer and Sony Artisan of Imagery, carefully guides you through the operating features of Sony a7, a7R, a7S, a7II and a7RII and how to use them. Get practical advice from a pro on which settings to use when, great shooting tips, and assignments at end of chapter to practice what youâ€™ve just learned. ‘Sony A7 Series: From Snapshots to Great Shots’ is available from Amazon and Peachpit