Sony has released a9 Firmware Update FW 3.00 which adds support for the new FE 400mm F2.8 GM OSS lens to optimize optical image stabilization performance, and enables continuous shooting with auto focus tracking, even when aperture is greater than F11.
The update also provides added option to input the camera serial number to the EXIF data, a feature that has been strongly requested by professional sports photographers and photojournalists.
Additionally, several other updates to the a9 camera have been implemented with the new firmware, including improved auto focus speed in low light conditions, enhanced continuous AF performance when tracking a moving subject, and reduced release time lag when shooting with flash.
This update (version 3.00) provides the following benefits:
Added functions for professionals engaged in sports/news media:
• Adds the Write Serial Number option (On/Off) to the menu for selecting your preference in writing the serial number to the EXIF data
Improvements in auto focus performance and functionality:
• Improves tracking performance of moving subjects in AF-C mode
• Improves auto focus speed in low light
• Adds AF Track Sens as a selectable option for custom key settings
• Adds support for all focus areas when using LA-EA3 mount adaptor
• (Focus Area options added: Zone, Expand Flexible Spot, and Lock-on AF)
Improvements in flash control performance and functionality:
• Reduced release time lag when shooting with flash
• Adds support for Slow Sync and Rear Sync when using flash wirelessly
• Adds support for white balance automatic correction when using color filter of external flash (HVL-F60RM)
• Stabilized release time lag when shooting in AF-C mode
• Improves overall stability of the camera
Benefits provided by previous updates are included in version 3.00.