Sony announces the FE 20-70mm F4 G Lens ($1,098 from B&H Photo | Amazon | Adorama). This constant F4 aperture standard zoom extends the ultra-wide range while maintaining its reach at the long end. The 20mm starting point gives an additional ten degrees of diagonal angle-of-view compared to 24mm while maintaining a compact and and lightweight form. Designed to accommodate new trends in shooting styles popular among vloggers and content creators, this ultra-wide to portrait-length zoom provides excellent edge-to-edge sharpness and outstanding image quality for all your imaging needs. Offering an expansive field of view to suit selfie, landscape, cityscape, and other wide-angle applications, this lens also offers fast, precise, and quiet autofocus performance as well as excellent close-up performance at all focal lengths.
G Lens Image Quality
Designed for demanding visual creators, this ultra-wide zoom offers no compromises regarding image quality, autofocus performance, or movie-making functionality.
• Engineered for use with full-frame Sony E-mount mirrorless cameras, the constant f/4 maximum aperture maintains consistent illumination throughout the entire zoom range.
• Features a combination of three ED elements, two AA elements, one ED aspherical element, and one standard aspherical element to effectively eliminate chromatic and spherical aberrations rendering excellent edge-to-edge sharpness and color fidelity.
• Rounded 9-blade aperture provides deep, soft bokeh.
Enhanced Autofocus and Video Capabilities
Offering an enhanced feature set for both still photography and videography, the FE 20-70mm f/4 G lens delivers fast focusing performance, improved tracking, and a series of attributes specifically designed for videographers.
• Two XD (extreme dynamic) linear motors provide smooth, silent, and precise autofocus performance as well as improved tracking performance for photos and videos.
• Internal focusing system maintains the overall length of the lens and does not rotate the lens barrel while focusing, enhancing the use of circular polarizers and variable ND filters.
• Updated optical design effectively eliminates focus breathing, focus shift, and axial shift to prevent unwanted movements and angle of view variations during movie recording.
• Aperture ring On/Off click switch and iris lock switch prevents aperture ring from being accidentally moved between the f/4 and f/22 settings.
• Optimized for filming, the lens supports active mode image stabilization and micro-step aperture control for smooth and seamless video capture.
Two programmable focus hold buttons and a focus mode switch for intuitive focus control.
• Minimum focusing distance of 9.8″ with excellent close-up performance at all focal lengths.
Handling and Design
Compact and lightweight, this highly-versatile ultra-wide standard zoom offers a unique and expansive field of view for everyday shooting.
• Hybrid construction uses both metal and plastic components to maximize both durability and a low weight design.
• Fluorine coating on front lens element repels water, dust, fingerprints and other contaminants making it easier to clean the front of the lens.
• Dust and moisture-resistant design includes a rubber ring to seal the lens mount for working in inclement weather conditions.
Sony FE 20-70mm F/4 G Specs
Focal Length: 20 to 70mm
Maximum Aperture: f/4
Minimum Aperture: f/22
Lens Mount: Sony E
Lens Format Coverage: Full-Frame
Angle of View: 94°
Minimum Focus Distance: 9.8″ / 25 cm
Maximum Magnification: 0.39x
Optical Design: 16 Elements in 13 Groups
Diaphragm Blades: 9, Rounded
Focus Type: Autofocus
Image Stabilization: No
Filter Size: 72 mm (Front)
Dimensions (ø x L): 3.1 x 3.9″ / 78.7 x 99 mm
Weight: 17.2 oz / 488 g
Order Sony FE 20-70mm F4 G Lens from B&H Photo | Amazon | Adorama
Thank you for supporting this website through purchases from our affiliate partners! We always strive to bring you the best deals and lowest prices.
2 thoughts on “Sony Announces FE 20-70mm F4 G Lens”
You have covered Sony from the beginning with great books, Thanks for letting us know about all things. Yes it will fly off the selves. Being like the EF 16-35mm G f/4 PZ and other newer styles the complaints will be first no internal zooming and second no zooming switch for those with zoom controls on a gimbal all from video shooters. Sony has been quite this past year not much in youtube chatter. Sony I believe is on the next step of lens development with telephotos due to IBIS on cameras now no need for OSS, so now without it is like getting rid of the mirror 10 years ago. And with new glass making things will be way sharper, maybe too sharp. I got the PZ and f/4 no problem for dark places astro with newer cameras no matter the MP. Next will be the GM PZ models with f/2.8 (or faster), internal zooming and for the video that all important zoom switch. As a stills photographer maybe no need for a lot of primes in a bag. Sony always so far ahead of all others from the beginning. Think about when press corps had to go to silent shooting cameras, no clicking allowed, and no flashes indoors – who started that first!
Always good to hear from you, Ed. I’m by no means a lens engineer, but when it comes to wide to tele zooms you have to make a choice between: optimal image quality, internal zoom and affordable price. And you can only pick two.