Sony announces the FE 20-70mm F4 G Lens ($1,098 from B&H Photo | Amazon | Adorama). This constant F4 aperture standard zoom extends the ultra-wide range while maintaining its reach at the long end. The 20mm starting point gives an additional ten degrees of diagonal angle-of-view compared to 24mm while maintaining a compact and and lightweight form. Designed to accommodate new trends in shooting styles popular among vloggers and content creators, this ultra-wide to portrait-length zoom provides excellent edge-to-edge sharpness and outstanding image quality for all your imaging needs. Offering an expansive field of view to suit selfie, landscape, cityscape, and other wide-angle applications, this lens also offers fast, precise, and quiet autofocus performance as well as excellent close-up performance at all focal lengths.
G Lens Image Quality
Designed for demanding visual creators, this ultra-wide zoom offers no compromises regarding image quality, autofocus performance, or movie-making functionality.
• Engineered for use with full-frame Sony E-mount mirrorless cameras, the constant f/4 maximum aperture maintains consistent illumination throughout the entire zoom range.
• Features a combination of three ED elements, two AA elements, one ED aspherical element, and one standard aspherical element to effectively eliminate chromatic and spherical aberrations rendering excellent edge-to-edge sharpness and color fidelity.
• Rounded 9-blade aperture provides deep, soft bokeh.
Enhanced Autofocus and Video Capabilities
Offering an enhanced feature set for both still photography and videography, the FE 20-70mm f/4 G lens delivers fast focusing performance, improved tracking, and a series of attributes specifically designed for videographers.
• Two XD (extreme dynamic) linear motors provide smooth, silent, and precise autofocus performance as well as improved tracking performance for photos and videos.
• Internal focusing system maintains the overall length of the lens and does not rotate the lens barrel while focusing, enhancing the use of circular polarizers and variable ND filters.
• Updated optical design effectively eliminates focus breathing, focus shift, and axial shift to prevent unwanted movements and angle of view variations during movie recording.
• Aperture ring On/Off click switch and iris lock switch prevents aperture ring from being accidentally moved between the f/4 and f/22 settings.
• Optimized for filming, the lens supports active mode image stabilization and micro-step aperture control for smooth and seamless video capture.
Two programmable focus hold buttons and a focus mode switch for intuitive focus control.
• Minimum focusing distance of 9.8″ with excellent close-up performance at all focal lengths.
Handling and Design
Compact and lightweight, this highly-versatile ultra-wide standard zoom offers a unique and expansive field of view for everyday shooting.
• Hybrid construction uses both metal and plastic components to maximize both durability and a low weight design.
• Fluorine coating on front lens element repels water, dust, fingerprints and other contaminants making it easier to clean the front of the lens.
• Dust and moisture-resistant design includes a rubber ring to seal the lens mount for working in inclement weather conditions.
Sony FE 20-70mm F/4 G Specs
Focal Length: 20 to 70mm
Maximum Aperture: f/4
Minimum Aperture: f/22
Lens Mount: Sony E
Lens Format Coverage: Full-Frame
Angle of View: 94°
Minimum Focus Distance: 9.8″ / 25 cm
Maximum Magnification: 0.39x
Optical Design: 16 Elements in 13 Groups
Diaphragm Blades: 9, Rounded
Focus Type: Autofocus
Image Stabilization: No
Filter Size: 72 mm (Front)
Dimensions (ø x L): 3.1 x 3.9″ / 78.7 x 99 mm
Weight: 17.2 oz / 488 g
Thank you for supporting this website through purchases from our affiliate partners! We always strive to bring you the best deals and lowest prices.