Metabones has Announced Four New Adapters on the Fifth Anniversary of the Original Smart Adapter
- • Metabones EF to E CINE Smart Adapter – Fifth Generation
• Metabones EF to E CINE Speed Booster ULTRA – Fifth Generation
• Metabones EF to E Smart Adapter – Fifth Generation
• Metabones EF to E Speed Booster ULTRA – Fifth Generation
The EF to E CINE Smart Adapter and EF to E CINE Speed Booster ULTRA, have positive‐lock EF lens mount carried over from the critically acclaimed Metabones EF‐FZ CINE Smart Adapter, a perfect companion to the positive‐lock mount of the new Sony FS7 Mark II camera. ULTRA is a positive‐lock EF lens mount carried over from the Metabones EF‐FZ CINE Smart Adapter.
All four new products are equipped with a rubber gasket to protect the E-mount connection from dust and moisture. To promote ease-of-use, an LED indicates the adapter’s operation mode, optical image stabilization operation and communication status.
A dedicated switch controls in-body image stabilization (IBIS) on Sony cameras equipped with 5-Axis IBIS. EF to E CINE Speed Booster ULTRA and EF to E Speed Booster ULTRA II feature the same Speed Booster ULTRA optics by Caldwell Photographic and WB Designs that make lenses brighter and wider.
EF to E CINE Smart Adapter will be available in February 2017 for $449 USD plus applicable taxes, duties and shipping, and EF to E CINE Speed Booster ULTRA will be offered at the same time for $699 USD plus applicable taxes, duties and shipping. Availability and pricing of EF to E Smart Adapter V and EF to E Speed Booster ULTRA II are to be determined.
UPDATE: I have received confirmation from Metabones that Smart Adapter IV will continue to receive firmware updates. The differences between the Mark IV and V adapters are physical.
Metabones Smart Adapter Mark V (and Speed Booster ULTRA II) add:
- • Dedicated Steadyshot On/Off Switch
• Basic/Advanced Mode Indicator Light
• Rubber Gasket Weather Seals
Canon EF-E mount T Smart Adapter (Fifth Generation) | Price: $399 USD
Dimension / Weight (TBD)
Canon EF-E mount T CINE Smart Adapter (Fifth Generation) | Price: $449 USD
Dimension / Weight (H:91cm W:88cm D:31cm / 207g)
Canon EF-E mount T Speed Booster ULTRA (Fifth Generation) | Price: $649 USD
Dimension / Weight (TBD)
Canon EF-E mount T CINE Speed Booster ULTRA (Fifth Generation) | Price: $699 USD
Dimension / Weight (H:91cm W:88cm D:26.5cm / 242g)
Key New Features
• CINE models feature a new positive-lock EF lens mount. (Patent pending)
• Rubber gasket protects E-mount connection from dust and moisture.
• Compatible with Sony FS7 Mark II camera
• Status notification LED light
• Dedicated switch controls in-body image stabilization (IBIS)
• Fast contrast-detect AF on all E-mount cameras.
• Phase-detect autofocus support on A7RII, A7II, A6300 and A6500.
• Smooth iris support with the latest Canon (2009+), Tamron (SP series 2013+) and Sigma
• Supports 5-axis in-body image stabilization of A7II, A7RII and A7SII. (Distance
information from lens required; 3-axis IBIS if lens does not transmit distance information.)
• Powered by camera body. No external power source required.
• Aperture control from camera body.
• Custom function button assignable to more than 50 functions on A7 series and
• High performance 32-bit processor and efficient switched-mode power supply.
• Supports image stabilization (IS) lenses.
• Supports electronic manual focusing (e.g. EF 85/1.2L II and discontinued EF 50/1.0L)
• EXIF support (focal length, aperture, zoom range)
• Distance and zoom display on VG and FS series camcorders, A7 series and
A6300/A6500 (lens with distance information support required).
• Auto magnify (lens with distance information support required)
• Auto “APS-C Size Capture” on full-frame cameras.
Optical (Speed Booster models only*) / Mechanical Features
• Increase maximum aperture by 1 stop.*
• Increase MTF.*
• Makes lens 0.71x wider.*
• Advanced 5-element/4-group optical design incorporating ultra-high index tantalumbased
optical glass by Caldwell Photographic in the USA (patent).*
• Felt material flocked inside the opening to reduce internal reflection.
• The tripod foot is detachable and compatible with Arca Swiss, Markins, and Photo Clam
PLEASE NOTE: Speed Boosters are Focal Reducers designed to use Fullframe lenses on APS-C cameras. They will NOT cover fullframe sensor Sony a7 Series cameras – except in crop mode.