Metabones has released Firmware Update v62 for their EF-E Smart Adapters which extends Sony a7 III AF-C Support to 10 Frames Per Second.
Vancouver, Canada, June 24, 2019 – Two years ago, Metabones® added support for Sony A9 with a maximum continuous autofocus (AF-C) frame rate of 10 fps by firmware to its EF-E Speed Booster® and EF-E Smart Adapter™ lines of fully-electronic adapters. Today, the same feat is extended to A7 Mark III.
How to upgrade:
EF-E Speed Booster ULTRA I/II, EF-E CINE Speed Booster ULTRA, EF-E Smart Adapter IV/V and EF-E CINE Smart Adapter are equipped with USB ports and they can be upgraded to firmware v62 by downloading the latest Metabones App. Choose the “Advanced Mode” checkbox before clicking the “Update” button. To encourage new firmware adoption, the user is assured that the upgrade is reversible to any previous version released in the last 2 years.
New customers may set the adapter to “Advanced Mode” with Metabones App or by following the procedure in the online user manual.
Even the original EF-E Smart Adapter I/II from 2012 and the original EF-E Speed Booster from 2013 can be updated to v62 and benefit from 10 fps AF-C with A9 and A7 Mark III, but without any USB ports, factory service is required to upgrade the firmware of these discontinued products, and they work only in APS-C mode. EF-E Smart Adapter III (2013) can also be factory-serviced to v62 and is the earliest adapter with full-frame camera support. Please contact Metabones customer service for details.
To achieve the highest possible AF-C frame rate on A7 Mark III, the adapter is set to “Advanced Mode”. On the camera we recommend setting “Priority Set in AF-C” to “AF” for the best accuracy and the highest hit rate, even though that will decrease the frame rate. 10 fps is the theoretical maximum and just how close we get to that is highly dependent upon the AF speed of the lens used and the speed of subject movement.
The fastest frame rate is achieved when the subject is at or near the center where phase-detection autofocus (PDAF) is used. Unfortunately only the central PDAF points are effective, because using all of the PDAF points of the camera would have required metadata about the optical formula of the specific lens used, which we do not have. All the PDAF points can be used by setting the Speed Booster or Smart Adapter to “Green Mode”, although the periphery points will still not be as effective as the central ones.
Some older lenses may have reduced accuracy and/or speed in “Advanced Mode”, but they can still be used in “Green Mode” on A7 Mark III at a lower frame rate (3 fps). “Green Mode” is also faster at single autofocus (AF-S).
With Speed Boosters and Smart Adapters breaking down compatibility barriers, Metabones believes that the products themselves need to be continuously updated with new firmware to cope with new technologies, new cameras and new lenses. Patrons see value in Metabones products in the long term for compatibility with the broadest range of cameras and lenses and for the firmware updates. Leverage the 10 fps continuous autofocus feature of the best-selling full-frame mirrorless camera today using 32 years’ worth of EF Mount lenses.
Name: Firmware update V0.62 for EF-E Smart Adapter MARK IV/V and EF-E Speed Booster ULTRA
Release date: 22 June 2019
Benefits and improvements:
• Increased AF speed on a camera with PDAF support when adapter is in Advanced Mode. With some camera bodies, for example A7 Mark III, AF-C will now focus in-between frames when camera is set to continuous drive (MID, HI, HI++) and the aperture is f/11 or faster. (f/8 for A7II and A7RII) Some vintage lenses, such as the original Sigma 50mm f/1.4 DG EX HSM (not Art), does not focus accurately in Advanced mode, but they will continue to work in Green mode. PDAF works only within a small central area. Outside, CDAF is used. It is not possible to support all PDAF points because metadata about the optical formula of the lens would be required, which we don’t have.
• Improved exposure accuracy and AF accuracy in Advanced Mode.
• CINE Smart Adapter (MB-EF-E-BT6) only, add support for the MZ/PZ switch of Canon PZ-E1 Power Zoom Adapter (with EF-S 18-135/3.5-5.6 “Nano” USM).
• Fixed compatibility issue with lens firmware version 2 of Tamron 10-24/3.5-4.5 VC HLD B023E.
• Fixed AF issue with Sigma 50-500/4.5-6.3 DG APO OS HSM with 1.4x teleconverter when zoomed away from 50mm.
• Fixed compatibility issue with certain lenses and NEX-5N and one of the following: CINE Smart Adapter, CINE Speed Booster, Speed Booster ULTRA II or Smart Adapter V.
• Fixed IBIS issue during continuous shooting.
Order Metabones Canon EF/EF-S Lens to Sony E Mount T Smart Adapter V
Order Metabones Canon EF/EF-S Lens to Sony E Mount T CINE Smart Adapter V
Order Metabones Canon EF Lens to Sony E Mount T CINE Speed Booster ULTRA 0.71x (Fifth Generation)
Order Metabones Canon EF to Sony E-Mount T Speed Booster ULTRA II 0.71x (Fifth Generation)