Metabones updates their AF Smart Adapter for Canon EOS to Sony E-mount
Metabones Canon EF to Sony E-Mount Smart Adapter IV (Amazon | B&H) has a larger interior opening for improved performance with tilt-shift lenses and better anti-reflection interior coatings to better tame internal reflections than the previous version Metabones Smart Adapter III.
“Smart Adapters” retain electronic communication between the camera and lens to provide automatic aperture control, EXIF data, image stabilization and autofocus. The adapter is powered by the camera body, so no external power source is required. The Mark IV provides the same functions as the Mark III but provides optimized performance and an improved internal structure.
The Smart Adapter IV offers two distinct operation modes: Green and Advanced modes. Each mode supports a different set of features and is selected when you mount the lens. Green mode is the default mode and it is designed to conserve battery power by limiting aperture diaphragm movements and image stabilization. Certain other functions are not available in Green Mode including Auto-Magnify MF Assist and DOF preview.
Only Canon-branded lenses introduced in or after 2006 are officially supported. Autofocus may be disabled for older Canon non-SSM lenses and most third-party lenses, including most Sigma, Tamron and Tokina lenses and all Contax N lenses modified by Conurus. This Smart Adapter is also compatible with fully manual lenses which have no electrical contacts. For a list of reported compatibility with specific lenses please see the Metabones website.
- True electronic integration of aperture diaphragm; lets camera automatically choose aperture in Program or Shutter Priority exposure modes, or set it manually on the camera body in Aperture Priority or Manual modes.The adapter is powered by the camera body, so no external power source is required.
- Two distinct operational modes are supported by the Smart Adapter IV: Green mode and Advanced mode. Green mode limits certain features and disables others in order to conserve the camera’s battery power.
- Wide-Open button enables aperture to remain open for clear manual focusing.
- Auto-Magnify/AF Assist enlarges the image in the viewfinder for easier manual focusing. This feature requires the AF/MF switch of the Canon EF mount lens to be set to the MF position and also requires a Canon EF mount lens that supports distance information. Auto-Magnify/AF Assist is disabled in Green mode.
- High performance 32-bit processor and efficient switched-mode power supply.
- Compatible with Sony E-mount full frame cameras such as the Sony A7, A7R and A7S. The Mark IV adapter supports auto “APS-C Size Capture” with EF-S lenses as well.
- Supports distance and zoom display on VG and FS series camcorders and auto magnify on lenses that support distance information
- Compatible with select fully manual lenses which have no electrical contacts.
- Both camera-side and lens-side of the adapter are made of brass, precision-machined and plated with chromium.
- Precise fit and solid connection – lens has no play, gap or wiggling when mounted on adapter and no adjustments are required to fit your lens.
- Designed to reach infinity focus while maintaining the correct registration distance required to maintain optical quality of CRC lenses or lenses with floating elements.
- Metabones uses matte-black treatment to keep internal reflection to a minimum in order to maintain the maximum optical quality possible with the lens.
- Satin surface finish matches lens and camera mounts.
- A third party zoom lens may need to be registered with the Smart Adapter first in order to detect its maximum aperture. Autofocus is disabled for most third-party lenses.
- Only Canon-branded lenses introduced in or after 2006 are officially supported. Autofocus may be disabled for older Canon lenses and most third-party lenses, including most Sigma, Tamron and Tokina lenses and all Contax N lenses modified by Conurus.
- The adapter’s tripod foot is detachable and compatible with Arca Swiss-style Quick-release heads.
Sony A7/A7R/A7S Lens Mount Adapters â€“ Part 1: Sony, Leica M, Canon EOS & Nikon lens mount adapters
Sony A7/A7R/A7S Lens Mount Adapters â€“ Part 2: Legacy lens mount adapters for Contax, Canon FD, Hasselblad V, Leica R, Minolta MD and others