Fotodiox has announced their new FUSION Smart AF Adapter [UPDATE 1/27/18: FotodioX FUSION Smart Mark II Adapter is now Available (Order Here for $349.95)]. It allows autofocus with Nikon G lenses on Sony E-mount cameras. It joins previously released Commlite & Vello Nikon AF Smart Adapters.
Fotodiox’s new FUSION lens adapter lets you mount Nikon lenses onto a Sony E-mount camera, all while maintaining electronic communication between the two, allowing Nikon lenses will perform more like native Sony lenses.
The FUSION adapter allows Sony full frame or APS-C E-Mount cameras with Nikon AF-I and AF-S lenses to gain auto-focus, full aperture control for Auto / Aperture Priority / Program AE modes, EXIF data transmission (on compatible models), and image stabilization (compatible models). The FUSION adapter is also compatible with fully manual vintage Nikon F lenses as a manual adapter.
• Sophisticated breakthrough aperture control system enables Sony camera full electronic control of Nikon AF-I and AF-S lenses for Auto, Aperture Priority, and Program AE modes.
• Sony camera can record EXIF data from Nikon AF-I and AF-S lenses.
• Auto focus in high-speed and low-speed modes with Nikon AF-I and AF-S lenses.
• Powered VR image stabilization in compatible lenses.
• Compatible with all manual vintage Nikon F mount lenses.
• Infinity focus guaranteed for all Nikon lenses.
• Aluminum construction with integrated baseplate and 1/4-20″ mount for supporting longer and heavier lenses
Sony Alpha E-mount Cameras (popular cameras include):
Sony a7, a7R, a7S, a7 II, a7R II, a7S II, a7 III, a7R III, a9
Sony a3000, a5000, a6000, a3500, a5100, QX1, PXW-FS7
Sony NEX-3, NEX-5, NEX-C3, NEX-5N, NEX-7, NEX-F3, NEX-5R, NEX-6
Sony NEX-VG10, NEX-VG20, NEX-VG30, NEX-VG900, NEX-FS100, NEX-FS700, NEX-EA50
Auto Focus Speed
The Nikon to Sony E-mount FUSION adapter’s auto-focus functions are designed to work best with newer cameras that have ‘Phase Detection AF’ such as the Sony a7R II and a6500 cameras. The FUSION adapter will work with cameras that use “Contrast Detection AF”, but performance is significantly slower – we don’t recommend this configuration. All other non-focus functions work equally well on all Sony cameras.
Phase Detection AF Cameras:
• a6000, a6300, a6500
• a7, a7 II, a7R II
Adapter Type: Nik-Sne(E) FUSION Smart AF Adapter for Nikon Lenses to Sony E-Mount Cameras
Lens Compatibility: Nikon AF-S & AF-I
– Image StabilizationM
– EXIF Data Transmission
– Electronic aperture control*
Nikon Vintage Lenses – Full Manual Function
Camera mount: Sony E-Mount Compatible
Lens Mount: Nikon F Mount Compatible
Manufacturer: Fotodiox Inc.
Warranty: 24 Months
* For electronic aperture control for EMD and “pull rod”
• In the unlikely event that the camera becomes unresponsive; remove the FUSION adapter, turn the camera off and remove the battery for 10 seconds to reset the camera.
• If the lens seems slow to respond, disassemble lens and adapter and clean both sides of the adapter’s signal contacts with technical grade alcohol
• Adapter enables EXIF and aperture data to be transmitted to and controlled by the camera. Different lenses may exhibit different operating characteristics depending on lens age, and manufacturer. We recommend testing individual lenses in your setup before critical shoots.
• The camera will automatically calculate the exposure after you’ve selected a still or video shooting mode
• All Nikon lenses you mount on the FUSION lens adapter will focus to infinity. Electronic and automatic function will only operate with compatible electronic lenses.
• If you encounter an error where you are unable to depress the shutter to take a picture, or you’re prompted that the lens is absent, be sure to change your camera’s settings to “release shutter without lens”, or change your camera mode to shoot in “aperture priority” mode.
7 thoughts on “Fotodiox Releases FUSION Nikon G to Sony E Smart AF Adapter”
I’m curious to see how it performs compared to its Canon sibling, which I found to be too slow for my needs on the a7ii.
Fotodiox’s Canon EF Smart Adapter is not among my favorites since it runs really out-dated firmware (equivalent to discontinued Metabones III) that cannot be updated. That said, Canon EF lenses are MUCH easier to adapt for AF than Nikon’s 100 flavors of AF lenses.
I’m assuming that only glass with internal focus will provide auto focus using this adaptor? Any glass that requires the body to drive focus would be manual focus only, but provide exposure communication, aperture, etc.?
It should be very similar to Vello: https://briansmith.com/vello-nikon-sony-e-mount-af-lens-adapter-review/
Is it a new design or a re-badge of the Commlite/Vello?
It looks like a golden-edition rebadge to me.
Ah ok, thanks for the super-fast response, and all the other excellent info on your site. It’s a huge help.