Real-time Eye AF
Software Version 3.0 brings Real-time Eye-AF to the a7R III and a7 III, an AI-driven, enhanced eye detection system that’s based on the results of machine learning. Through machine learning, Sony has created a system that can detect—and focus on—the human eye even if the subject is looking down, partially blocked in the frame, turning or backlit. This feature is available in AF-C mode with a simple half-press of the shutter button.
Menu > Camera Settings 1 > AF2 > Face/Eye AF Settings > Face/Eye Priority in AF > On
Real-time Animal Eye AF
As with human eye recognition, Software Version 3.0 brings AI-driven animal eye detection to Sony cameras for the first time. Advanced subject recognition allows the a7 III and a7R III to detect and track animal eyes, and is the first step in a robust animal-tracking AF system.
The development of Animal Eye AF performance will continue, increasing the range of animals recognized by the system as well the system’s ability to track their movement.
Please Note: It is not possible to track human and animal eyes simultaneously:
Menu > Camera Settings 1 > AF2 > Face/Eye AF Settings > Subject Detection > choose: Human or Animal
Interval Shooting is a new Menu recording function that allows creation of time-lapse movies. The new feature can be set for anywhere between 1 and 60 seconds, with a total number of shots from 1 to 9999. AE tracking sensitivity can also be adjusted to “High”, “Mid” or “Low” during interval recording, allowing for reduced changes in exposure over the shooting interval.
Menu > Camera Settings 1 > Shoot Mode/Drive2 > Interval Shooting Function
ILCE-7RM3 System Software (Firmware) Update Ver. 3.00
ILCE-7M3 System Software (Firmware) Update Ver. 3.00
Benefits and Improvements in the Latest Update
• Allows real-time EYE AF by half-pressing the shutter button or by pressing the AF-ON button
• Adds real-time Eye AF for animals
[NOTES: It is not possible to detect human and animal eyes simultaneously. Eye detection may not be possible and depends on the environment, animal type, and movement of the animal]
• Adds the Interval Shooting function
• Allows operation with the wireless remote commander RMT-P1BT (sold separately)
• Allows you to assign the [MENU] to a custom key
• Allows [MENU] tab operation with the Fn button
• Improves the overall stability of the camera
Previous Benefits and Improvements
[All Previous Benefits and Improvements are also included in this Update]
MAC USERS PLEASE NOTE:
The latest Sony Firmware Updates are only compatible with Mac OS 10.12 – 10.14
You must first run UpdateSettingTool and follow the prompts to run it.
[UpdateSettingTool replaces Mac OS 10.13 Driver Loader from earlier firmware versions.]
1. Make sure the camera’s USB Connection is set to Mass Storage
2. WITHOUT CONNECTING THE CAMERA, Click on UpdateSettingTool.
3. Once you see this message, connect the camera.
4. When the above message goes away, click on the Resources Folder, click on “SystemSoftwareUpdater” and follow prompts to begin the firmware update.