Sony has released a9 Firmware Update 6.00 which adds Animal Eye AF, Focus Frame Color Selection, Interval Shooting and support for Sony Wireless Remote Commander RMT-P1BT.
Benefits and Improvements in the latest update
• Adds real-time Eye AF for animals
• Allows the operation with wireless remote commander RMT-P1BT [sold separately]
• Focus Frame Color selection allows you to choose Red, White or Gray focus point
IMPORTANT: For customers updating the ILCE-9 from firmware Ver. 4.10 or earlier, please review the benefits and changes before performing the update.
• This function can be used simultaneously with tracking.
• Eye detection may not be possible, depending on environment, animal type or movement of the animal.
• It is not possible to simultaneously detect human and animal eyes.
• Addition of the interval shooting function
• “My Menu” can be assigned to appear first when you press the MENU button.
• Improves the overall stability of the camera
[Note:] If you use Remote Camera Tool, you need to update it to the latest version following this update.
*Please refer to the HelpGuide for updated function usage.
Previous Benefits and Improvements
[All Previous Benefits and Improvements are also included in this Update]
ILCE-9 System Software (Firmware) Update Ver. 6.00
MAC USERS PLEASE NOTE:
All the latest Sony Firmware Updates are only compatible with Mac OS 10.12-10.14
You must first run UpdateSettingTool and follow the prompts to run it.
[UpdateSettingTool replaces Mac OS 10.13 Driver Loader from earlier firmware versions.]
1. Make sure the camera’s USB Connection is set to Mass Storage
2. WITHOUT CONNECTING THE CAMERA, Click on UpdateSettingTool.
3. Once you see this message, connect the camera.
4. When the above message goes away, click on the Resources Folder, click on “SystemSoftwareUpdater” and follow prompts to begin the firmware update.
Before Updating Firmware Please Read:
Bulletproof Guide to Sony Camera Firmware Updates
Order Sony a9 from B&H Photo | Amazon
Order Sony Wireless Remote Commander RMT-P1BT from B&H Photo | Amazon
8 thoughts on “Sony a9 Firmware Update 6.00 Adds Animal Eye AF & Focus Frame Color Selection”
Glad to have the color focus point option and the My Menu default! Hope it comes to a7RIII soon.
It the focus frame color only for focus confirmation or like the a7RIV where the color can be changed during selection?
Same as a7R IV, Mike. You can change the color of Flexible Point Selection.
I updated my a9 with 5.0 but not 5.1. Can I jump to 6.0 or do I need to install 5.1 first? Thx
“[All Previous Benefits and Improvements are also included in this Update]”
I didn’t see this from Sony otherwise I would have known and not asked you. I just lost a whole lot of respect for you in your smart aleck reply.
Do you know if you can purchase the correct USB cable? I have tried every micro-usb cable I have and none of them seem to work. Following the steps carefully and no luck. Presuming its the cable… thanks!
I don’t believe Sony sells replacement cables however the TetherTools cables I use for tethering work perfectly.
Tether Tools TetherPro USB 2.0 A Male to Micro-B 5-Pin Cable is the one you need for a9