Sony FE 100mm F2.8 STF GM OSS lens ($1498 from B&H Photo | Amazon) becomes the fourth lens in Sony’s G Master lens line and it boasts a revolutionary lens design offering the smoothest bokeh ever. It’s also the world’s first true Smooth Transition Focus lens featuring Autofocus and Optical Stabilization.
Sony FE 100mm F2.8 STF GM OSS measures 3.35 x 4.65″ / 85.2 x 118.1 mm (diameter x length)
Sony FE 100mm F2.8 STF GM OSS weighs in at 1.54 lb (700 g)
Sony FE 100mm F2.8 STF GM OSS has a 72mm front filter thread
Sony FE 100mm F2.8 STF GM OSS features an 11-blade circular aperture a APD Apodization lens element for lifelike rendering to eliminate bokeh distortion, Nono AR Coating to reduce ghost and flare and ED glass to suppress chromatic aberration.
APD Apodization lens element
The effect of the APD Apodization lens element is most pronounced wide open and gradually diminishes until F8 where the lens operates like a normal 100mm lens – but if you’re after beautiful bokeh, I don’t have to tell you that you’ll want to shoot wide open…
If you’re looking for swirly bokeh, or cat’s eye bokeh, or soap bubble bokeh that scream for attention – this is not the lens. However, if you’re looking for a 100mm fullframe lens that offers the smoothest and most natural bokeh – keep reading…
Bokeh Comparisons to Standard 100mm F2.8 Lenses
If you’re asking yourself “why” would you want such a lens – the answer is in the background – as in the area you didn’t focus upon. While many lenses in Sony’s line up produce extremely sharp in-focus areas, the Sony FE 100mm F2.8 STF GM OSS quite simply produces the most natural out-of-focus bokeh of any lens ever made. Here’s a comparison with a standard 100mm F2.8 (non-APD) lens:
More Apodization Lens Light Loss = Better the Bokeh
Among the four APD Apodization Lenses on the market, Sony FE 100mm F2.8 STF GM OSS has the greatest light loss – with a T-stop a full two stops below the rated max F-Stop. BUT…this is NOT a bad thing. The most light loss means FE 100mm F2.8 STF GM OSS has the strongest APD Apodization effect. In other words – it has the Best Bokeh. Bear in mind that most lenses on the market have of T-stop between 1/3 – 1/2 stop less than their rated max F-stop.
Once you get to F8 and below, the Sony FE 100mm F2.8 STF GM OSS operates like a standard telephoto lens with no additional T-stop compensation.
Sony FE 100mm F2.8 STF GM OSS has a close-focus switch that shifts a lens element for added close-focus range down to 1.87′ (0.57 meters) for 1:4 magnification as shown in the images below.
Sony FE 100mm F2.8 STF GM OSS is dust- and moisture-sealed for working in inclement weather.
Sony FE 100mm F2.8 STF GM OSS has built-in Optical SteadyShot Stabilization and is compatible with Sony bodies featuring 5-Axis Image Stabilization.
IN THE BOX:
Sony FE 100mm F2.8 STF GM OSS includes front & rear lens caps, a padded lens pouch and lens hood. The hood has a locking button and is reversible for transport.
I found that the Sony FE 100mm F2.8 STF GM OSS paired extremely well with the FE 24-70mm f/2.8 GM for a day of walking and shooting. I’ve always found 70 to 85mm a bit too close together. I much prefer the jump from 70 to 100mm …
Sony FE 100mm F2.8 STF GM OSS is desined for users who want a short telephoto with beautiful natural bokeh. Sony FE 100mm F2.8 STF GM OSS lens is NOT a low-light lens to shoot in near darkness. If you need a fast telephoto you’d be happier with a FE 85mm F1.4 GM or FE 135mm F1.8 GM. However if you’re opening up just to blow the background out of focus, you’ll get a prettier background with the shooting with FE 100mm F2.8 STF GM OSS wide open along with more of your subject in focus.
• G Master series lens is designed to achieve highest resolution and sharpness
• Optical design incorporates an apodization element that helps to improve the quality of bokeh
• Produces perfectly circular out-of-focus highlights for more pleasing selective focus bokeh
• One extra-low dispersion element reduces color fringing and chromatic aberrations
• One aspherical element controls spherical aberrations for improved clarity and sharpness.
• Optical layout has also been designed to reduce peripheral highlight distortion due to vignetting
• Nano AR Coating has been applied to reduce surface reflections, flare, and ghosting.
• Direct Drive Super Sonic wave Motor AF and internal focus for quick, quiet and precise autofocus
• Natural, intuitive manual focus control.
• Macro switching ring allows 0.25x magnification at minimum focus for close-ups.
• Customizable focus hold button on lens barrel can be used to hold the focusing position
• Optical SteadyShot image stabilization helps to minimize the appearance of camera shake
• Physical aperture ring can be de-clicked for smooth, silent aperture for video shooting.
• Dust- and moisture-sealed design better permits working in inclement conditions.
• Rounded 11-blade diaphragm contributes to a pleasing bokeh quality when employing selective focus.