Atomos Firmware version 10.54 update allows the Ninja V Recording Monitor to record the 16-bit linear raw video from the a7S III as a 12-bit log ProRes RAW file using a visually lossless process. Capturing the footage in 4.2K resolution, the recorder offers an uncropped mode that will record the full 4264 x 2408 resolution at up to 59.94p or a cropped metadata mode at 4240 x 2385 that more closely matches footage recorded internally to the camera.
ProRes RAW Recording: – 4.2k
• Uncropped metadata mode 4264 x 2408 at 23.98p, 25p, 29.97p, 50p, 59.94p • Cropped metadata mode 4240 x 2385 at 23.98p, 25p, 29.97p, 50p, 59.94p
The Metadata crop provides a simple way to transform the RAW data to a 16:9 aspect ratio that closely represents the internally recorded 4K UHD files.
– 12bit Log
• 16bit linear converted to 12bit Log (visually lossless process)
For more information on this please refer to this video https://www.atomosacademy.com/prores-raw-and-how-to-edit-the-format-in-scratch-part-2/
ProRes and DNX Recording:
– 4KUHD (3840x2160p) recording at 23.98p, 25p, 29.97p, 50p, 59.94p – HD (1920x1080p) recording at 23.98p, 25p, 29.97p, 50p, 59.94p
– HD interlaced (1920x1080i) at 50i, 59.94i
– Video output of the camera is 10-bit 422
AtomOS Monitoring Settings:
– Native – Linear to Slog3 or use with 3D LUTs – can use any existing Slog3 LOOK LUTs
– Rec709 – to view RAW input in SDR up to 6.7 stops of dynamic range
– HLG – to view RAW in HLG with up 10.5 stops of dynamic range
– PQ – to view RAW in PQ/HDR10 with up to 10.5 stops of dynamic range, for scenes with extended spectral highlights.
Sony Alpha 7S III:
• Larger recordings on a 2TB SSD may occasionally not play back correctly on the Ninja V. This is related to playback on the Ninja V only and the recorded file is unaffected.
• Ninja V may not recommence recording automatically when momentarily losing video signal lock due to a faulty cable connection.
• White Balance and ISO adjustments are currently not available in Final Cut Pro X – Update in future firmware release for both camera and Ninja V
• RAW to HDR HDMI output – PQ / HDR10 output conversion may appear slightly incorrect.
• Fixed an issue where 3D LUTs may not display correctly when switching to Playback mode to view recordings in 10-bit 422 video.
To read more about the update, including the release notes and instructions on how to download and install the firmware, be sure to visit Atomos’s firmware support page.