Here’s a Great Kit Deal on my favorite battery powered strobes!
B&H Photo is offering great Kit Saving on Profoto AcuteB2 600 watt/second AirS LiFe Power Pack with Free Profoto AcuteB 600 w/s Lamphead (Order from B&H | Amazon).
While Profoto B1 500 AirTTL Battery Powered Flash monolights (B&H | Amazon) are garnering most of the attention these days, there are a couple upsides to separating the heads and packs.
First, splitting the generator and battery away from the head offers better weight distribution allowing me hang the pack off the stand to keep the center of weight low.
Second, I can travel with one case of pair of Profoto Acute 2R 2400 packs and heads (B&H | Amazon) and another case of Profoto AcuteB2 strobes to quickly change from a/c to battery packs when moving outdoors still using the same heads.
And most importantly, the Acute Profoto frosted glass globe is the key to getting the best looking light out of Profoto’s huge range of reflectors and modifiers.
I love these Acute battery packs for location portrait photography because I often find myself flying around the Caribbean in a tiny plane yet I’m able to pack all this into a Tenba Air Case (B&H) that weighs in under 50 pounds:
The AcuteB2 is a nice update on the original Profoto AcuteB packs are my battery powered flash of choice. Profoto’s AcuteB2 600Ws AirS LiFe Power Pack supplies 600Ws of portable flash power in a compact, lightweight (7.9 lbs/3.6 kg) package, with a long-life LiFe (Lithium Ion Iron Phosphate) battery powering up to 200 flashes at full power with even faster recycle time (0.08-2.0 seconds, flash duration as short as 1/6800 and offers 7 f-stop range (9-600Ws). The LiFe battery gives you up to 4 times the battery life of previous batteries. Plus, the built-in Profoto AirS radio sync receiver provides control from up to 980′ (300 meters) using Profoto Air Sync Transceiver (B&H | Amazon) sold separately.
The AcuteB2 has been tested, certified and licensed for travel according to the UN manual of Test & Criteria, and the included multi-voltage charger allows you to charge the battery on any AC current, ensuring that you’ll be able to work anywhere in the world.
• Lithium Ion Iron Phosphate battery–state-of-the-art battery technology
• Small and lightweight–only 7.9 lbs including LiFe battery and generator
• Up to 200 flashes at maximum power on a fully charged battery
• Extreme long lifetime, up to 4 times longer battery lifetime
• Licensed to travel–tested and certified according to UN manual of Test & Criteria, Part III, sub-sec 38,3
• World-wide use with automatic, multivoltage charger and Profoto AirS
• Recycling time, 0.08 – 2.0 s
• Short flash duration, 1/6800 – 1/1000 s
• Built-in Profoto AirS radio sync system for triggering from up to 980′ (300 m)–no external antenna
• AirS works with the shortest flash sync times
• Wide power range of 7 f-stop, 9 – 600 Ws
Profoto Acute B packs that have been my battery powered flash of choice for location portrait photography since they first came out in 2006 – quite possibly because the first time I used them was to shoot this…