On Thursday April 30th, 2009, Brian Smith speaking about the Future of Editorial Photography. Come learn how he approaches editorial photography assignments and his keys for success. He’ll discuss his latest photography project of 85 celebrities for The Creative Coalition and how the shoot was produced. The location is Power Plant Productions, 230 North 2nd Street, Philadelphia, PA 19106. Come early for a good seat!
Editorial Photography is undergoing rapid change, yet the death of magazine photography has been greatly exaggerated. Pulitzer Prize-winning photographer Brian Smith, President of Editorial Photographers, will discuss how to maximize the creative and commercial rewards while avoiding bad contracts, stagnant rates and rights-gobbling appetites of multinational media corporations.
Smith will discuss the need to charge properly for the time and expense of digital capture and processing and why photographers and agencies may be to blame for unreasonably low caps that some magazines that some magazines have placed on digital fees. Photographers, when united, have been able to affect positive change to the industry for fair contracts paying higher fees and space usage and how photographers unwilling to turn down bad deals can send it all tumbling down.
• How to get and keep the attention of photo editors and art directors at top magazines
• How production value can make your work stand out
• What are the best things you can do in a slow economy
• How to maximize re-licensing, syndication and reprint revenue – How will the shift to online content will affect rates
• What you should know about editorial that nobody told you
Thursday, April 30th, 2009, 7 PM
Location: Power Plant Productions
230 North 2nd Street Philadelphia, PA 19106